Sunday, April 12, 2009

Laurel, Indiana Funnel Cloud Photos!!

Finally, I've received pictures of the Sunday, April 5 storm over the northwest section of Franklin county near the town of Laurel. The photo you see at right with the church in the foreground was taken in the town of Laurel and is looking southwest towards the town of Beuna Vista.
The second picture was taken along US 52 near it's intersection with Indiana 229. The photographer was looking to the northwest towards the town of Laurel. We are seeing both sides of the storm from these two vantage points. I don't think the photos were taken near the same point in time though because the directions seem to be off.
After studying the pictures and comparing them to some photos in the NOAA Advanced Spotters' Field Guide, I think what we are seeing are either wall clouds or shelf clouds. I can't really tell from the photos so I'm just speculating. Here is a map of the area.

No comments: