Thursday, January 7, 2010

Season's Biggest Snowfall?

We'll have to see if this will be the season's biggest snowfall, but I hope not. The snow began to fly around 7am this morning and by 5pm had accumulated to just over 5 inches (13cm). School administrators began the day by issuing a 2-hour delay, but later the decision was made to close. When the delay was issued no snow had fallen. I'm sure that those who make the decision to close were waiting to see what was going to happen.

At noon I decided to venture out and see what the roads were like. Since the snow wasn't that deep and was very light and powdery I knew that driving in it wouldn't be difficult. So... I headed down the road and eventually made my way to Rushville. The back roads had not been plowed and US52 had likely been plowed, but it was hard to tell. There was a lot of snow on it and 30mph was top speed. I did pass a plow truck as I headed into town, but he wasn't putting down any salt.

Road conditions were poor all over the region today. In Delphi, Indiana this morning an individual was killed when they lost control of their vehicle and slid into the path of a school bus. Apparently, the schools in that area had not closed. Several students on the bus were injured, but none seriously. Read more here.



No comments: