Monday, November 24, 2008

Icy Roads and No Power

Roads were a bit icy this morning. Overnight, the temperature dropped and we had some freezing rain in the area. This created some icy roads and put Franklin County Schools on a 2-hour delay this morning. There were several accidents reported where people were sliding into one another. I heard reports of up to 9 accidents on State Road 1 just outside of Brookville. No serious injuries that I heard of though due to the weather. Not sure if the ice was a surprise for road crews or if they just decided to save the salt they had because of the national salt shortage.

At 2:15 this afternoon, the electricity went out at school. The lights flickered a few times and then went out all together. I was surprised to find that there were very few emergency lights that worked in the building. The darkest hallways had none, while the classroom hallways did have backup lights. I left at 2:30 to go to the doctor in Connersville and passed an accident scene where a car had hit a power pole. However, the school secretary told me that the power failure was due to an accident at the intersection of State Road 121 and US 52. So, I'm not sure what caused the outage, but I noticed the power was back on when I passed the school on my way home at 4:45pm.

No comments: